Monday, July 6, 2009

Success in Marriage

I know, coming up on my 10th anniversary this year, I don't have a lot of experience to share, but I can share what I've learned from others. You see, last week we celebrated my parent's 40th wedding anniversary. All of us kids got together and had a banquet to honor our parents with a nice meal, family togetherness, and sharing with them what the strength in their marriage has meant to us.

When each of us kids got married, our dad picked a verse to go with our wedding day (He got the idea from Ron Smith in Wappingers Falls, NY) For example, I got married on August 7th, 1999 - and my verse was Song of Solomon 8:7 -
"Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned."
So I spoke about the fact that I have seen in my parent's marriage the strength of their love for each other. Through illness & injury (most of the injuries were mine), through blessing and trial, through the good and the bad their love has stood unquenchable. But love does not just happen. At times, the feelings can come in waves of joy and gladness, but at times love means doing that extra something for your mate, and love always means sacrificing ourselves to our mates: husbands in a sacrificial love, and wives in sacrificial obedience. When love involves giving, it cannot be quenched.

There were other characteristics shared as well. Contentment with "such things as ye have," and contentment with the "wife of your youth." Godliness - which has value in all things. And the priority of putting God first - seeking God early and often.

Our parents have been faithful to one another for 40 years. Not a ground-breaking landmark, but certainly a good opportunity for us to honor them, their faith, and their success in the marriage God has blessed them with.
Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Kevin.

    Forty years in this day and age IS a milestone!
    I remember their wedding day very well. The garden reception was lovely...and the groom's cake was YUMMY! I had never seen a groom's cake before, so it stuck in my memory.
    :)

    ReplyDelete