Monday, August 23, 2010

Choose Wisely

We are faced with choices almost non-stop in our daily lives.  When to get up, what to do, what to wear, what to eat, how to respond to others, when to go to bed, and each choice impacts other choices we make. 

Growing up, I remember often hearing the phrase "Choose wisely."  It was probably applied more to friends and how I responded to my parents in obeying what they had asked me to do.  Today it reaches out into far more areas.  In grocery shopping, I try to choose wisely by buying the size and brand that gives me the most food for the least money.  Many purchase decisions involve a balancing act between quality and price.  Time management is based on accomplishing things of value rather than wasting time.

How often do we think of choosing wisely as adults?  We don't have a parent leaning over our shoulder reminding us to measure the wisdom of our choices.  Many times, our choices end up being made by what feels right at the moment, whether we're feeling pain, discomfort, hunger, anger, or joy, our decisions are often based on our circumstances. 

In I Samuel 25, David was responding to his circumstances in anger.  He was going to get what was due him.  Providentially, God sent Abigail to David to remind him of his need to choose wisely.  He did, and blessings were all around for almost all involved. 

It reminds me of how we need to be voices reminding others to "choose wisely."  Not scolding and railing on, but gently reminding others to consider the consequences of their choices.  We also need "Abigails" in our lives to remind us to think about the choices we make.  Maybe this will be a needed reminder for you today, I'm hoping it will be a reminder for me when I am tempted to respond without considering the consequences.

And David said to Abigail, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, which sent thee this day to meet me: And blessed be thy advice, and blessed be thou, which hast kept me this day from coming to shed blood, and from avenging myself with mine own hand.
- I Samuel 25:32-33

No comments:

Post a Comment