Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Time For Everything

Our lives are filled with events each day, each week, each month.  Some we enjoy, some we try to avoid.  This week has been full for me of events.  Just over a week ago, a 39 year old man was killed in a motorcycle accident on the local highway.  His mother, who goes to our church, called to see if I would do the funeral.  On Friday, I met with this dear family to prepare for the services, and to grieve with them in their loss.  On Saturday, we found out a young lady in our church had gone into labor, and her husband and her were anxiously anticipating the birth of their first child.   On Saturday, the weather was clear enough to run the tiller through the garden to break it all up to start getting ready for planting in the coming days and weeks.  On Sunday, we celebrated what Christ has done on the cross for us in the Communion service, and through our regular services, rejoiced in our God.  On Monday, I went to the hospital to be there for the couple who were still awaiting the birth of their first child.  I stayed until I had to leave to get home and finish preparing for the funeral.  We returned Monday from the funeral to hear that the baby had been born.  On Tuesday, I was required to report for jury duty, and remembered that there is an importance to justice being done - whether through conviction or acquittal.  Yesterday, I was reminded of the need for rest.

I don't know where your day is, or what events will find you today, but I want to remind us all of the words of Solomon.


To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Ecclesiasets 3:1-8

So what do we do with all these times and seasons?  I'm glad you asked!

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

I suppose, if I was clever, or consistent in my blog, I would have posted this yesterday, and called it Wisdom for Wednesdays, or Wisdom Filled Wednesday.  So I guess this must be Truth for Thursday.  I hope you have a great one!


1 comment:

  1. Wow - sounds busy! Thanks for the verses - there is surely a time for everything and yet the blog is good at showing that fearing God and keeping His commandments is key.

    ReplyDelete