Monday, June 11, 2012

Walking the Race . . .

Pride is an interesting thing.  It comes in so many different shapes and sizes, it is probably a part of our everyday lives.  Yet we often don't notice it very often, and sometimes when we notice it, we'll label it something else to get the focus off of our pride.

Three weeks ago, I ran in a 5k.  My knee had been bothering me, but I decided to run.  The plan was to run at a moderate pace and switch to walking if my knee gave me any pain while running.  It didn't hurt at all the entire distance, and I ended up with my fastest time yet in a 5k race.  Over the next week or so, I decided that my knee probably would need more time to heal before trying that again.  I was favoring it, not so that others noticed, but I could tell I was modifying my steps to go easy on it.  Saturday was another 5k race that I had already signed up for, already paid the entrance fee for, already planned on running, but running was out.

So, what were my options?  I could ignore the race completely, I could go pick up my t-shirt and enjoy the snacks that I had paid for, or I could go and walk the 5k.  Walk?   But that is for older people!  But that is for people who aren't strong enough to run!  But that would be embarrassing!  Yes, I thought that, embarrassing to walk.  The day of the race made it even harder on me.  I woke to overcast skies and the threat of rain.  Sure, I'd run in the rain, that even sounds like fun.  But walk in the rain?  Do you know how long it would take to walk a 5k?  Do you know how wet I would get?  Just for walking?  Eventually, I talked myself into going to town ready to walk and see what happened.

As I went to pick up my t-shirt and number, I ran into a couple of people I knew.  Now I couldn't just take my shirt and go home.  I'd be embarrassed not to participate.  (Yes, pride keeps showing itself!)  So I waited for the race, lined up toward the back, and I walked the 5k.  I found out different muscles get used when walking instead of running.  I found out some people struggle to stay running during a race.  I found out that some elementary kids were very strong people. (Walking and running without a friend in sight at 9 or 10 years of age, and they kept going)  I found out that a 61 year old woman could walk faster than me when going down hill.  I found out that walking a 5k and pushing yourself can be a challenge.  I found out that you can get sore from walking.

I'd say that I found out I still need to work on pride in my life, but I've known that for a while.

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."

- Philippians 2:3

No comments:

Post a Comment