Thursday, November 12, 2009

One of 'Those' Days

I suppose the title is somewhat misleading. My day wasn't terrible, it was just one of those days. It started off well with being able to collect the firewood I had cut up on the hill and bring it back down to the house for the winter. I'm pretty sure that I have enough wood to burn until probably mid February now, depending on the weather. I also was able to get the rest of the wood I need lined up by splitting a tri-axle load of wood poles with my neighbor. Those should be coming in the next few days so there will be time to cut, split and stack the wood to dry out during the early winter months.

So, pretty good day, except . . .

I had cut myself short on time for a Wednesday with preparing for Prayer Meeting because I was hauling wood in the morning. Wednesday's message was taking longer to finish preparing than I anticipated (you figure out what to do with Numbers 5!). It was a day off for the local public school which meant that every child in the neighborhood with a fund-raiser (all of them - school budgets are hurting) showed up at our door to sell something. This week I have bought 4 poinsettias, and a tray of chocolate covered caramels. (We try as the small town pastor not to turn anyone away empty handed.) And finally, with two hours to go before dinner, 3 of my children conspired together to flush a small baby food jar down the toilet. And it went down the hole! Not all the way down the hole, mind you. It got stuck in the built in trap in the toilet. I guess that's a good reason to call it a trap. Anyway, having drained the toilet, and taken it apart, I was able to push the jar out of the trap with a piece of hose and clear the problem. I was happy the problem was solved and proceeded to put the toilet back together.

First I had to flip it back over carefully. Carefully being the key word. Just tapping the front of the toilet on the ceramic tile floor caused the front of the toilet to crack. Yup!, One of those days.

I will have to admit that my first response wasn't to rejoice in my circumstances. It hurt that my schedule kept getting tighter and I was running out of time. It hurt that the toilet has only been in use for 2 months, a brand new toilet. It hurt that I cracked the toilet by not being careful enough. But God is good.

I can rejoice because we had a brand new toilet sitting in the barn (been there for 3-4 years now) from when we changed the other fixtures in the downstairs bathroom. It just never got installed, and didn't get used when we put in the addition. I can rejoice because my children that were involved took up an offering to 'fix' the problem they caused. It was $1.06, depending on the exchange rate with Canada (I dislike Canadian coins - I mean seriously, couldn't they make their coins not look like ours?) And I can rejoice because Numbers chapter 5 shows us that our sin cannot be hidden before a Holy God. It was probably my children's 'hidden' actions that helped me to see the meaning in Numbers 5.

If you're having one of 'those' days? "O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." - Psalm 34:8 No matter what type of day you're having, God has a good and blessing filled day waiting for you to "taste ans see."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my - what a day! :) Nothing is really going wrong here this morning, I'm just feeling grouchy & a little overwhelmed, but I needed this - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete