Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Today's Thoughts

It has been over a week since I checked in here, and it's been a fairly busy week at that. Since my last post, we were able to get a tri-axle load of logs to split with our neighbor for firewood. All of our poles are cut up, and most of is is split and stacked and ready to heat the house in a few months. From my half of the truck, I ended up with about 10 face cord of fire wood. We also purchased a grain mill and have begun grinding our whole wheat to make flour for breads, cakes & cookies. It takes a little more time than scooping out of a store bought bag, but quicker is not always better. A week after leading to the destruction of the toilet, 2 of my children cut the pull strings on a mini blind, rendering it useless. The repair took slightly longer than the toilet, but I was able to re-string the mini blind with string I had around the house.

In the middle of all this business, I managed to injure myself. On the first truck load of firewood to be brought back to the house (first of six), I managed to bruise (or crack) my ribs trying to get the tailgate unstuck on the truck. I had my dad and a man from the church helping, so I couldn't call off the work day, and I'm not one for standing back, so we worked for about 5 hours that day. I'm not the best at letting things heal, I tend to be fairly active, but my body lets me know when I've overdone.

In the midst of this, I have found much to be thankful for. I am thankful for a wife who is willing to wait on me when necessary. I like to do things for myself, but I appreciate the service my wife has given over the past week, especially. I am thankful for family and friends to help make large tasks manageable. Just 8 days after the wood was delivered, it was all cut up! I am thankful for the endless variety in flavors of food that God has given. We have enjoyed the flavors and textures of fresh milled grain and have realized that all the convenience food we have at our disposal is not so much a treat or a good deal. I am thankful for being able to fix things. No plumber, no new mini-blind, just some labor in putting things back together.

And I am thankful for all the blessings God gives. Even when life isn't 'perfect,' God has given us all that we need to thrive in life.

"In everything give thanks,
for this is the will of God in
Christ Jesus concerning you"
- I Thessalonians 5:18



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing - it is always interesting how in our trials, God always provides for us & if we didn't have trials, we wouldn't get to see how He provides!

    ReplyDelete